There are various types of packing tape out there that may suit your business needs. What you need to ask yourself is what are your current needs.
- Do you need a tape that is cost effective?
- Do you need a tape that is going to keep my packages as safe as they can be?
- Do you want your company logo displayed on the outside of the package?
- Do you want to use environmentally friendly tape?
Let's take a look at the different qualities...
- Paper tape is definitely eco friendly in comparison to the traditional plastic alternatives.
- It provides a strong and instant hold when attached to cardboard boxes.
- It can be printed with a variety of wording or logos, making it a perfect opportunity to market your company logo.
- It's recyclable and compostable, meaning that if disposed of after use in the correct way, it will not contribute to landfill.
- Can be used in a tape gun.
- Paper tape is more expensive than plastic alternatives.
- If during transit, the package is subjected to wet substances, then the tape may weaken. However considering most packages are cardboard anyway, this would likely be an issue even when using plastic tape.
Plastic / Acrylic Tape
- The most cost effective tape, as you get a longer stretch of tape per penny. Great for keeping costs down as you start up your business.
- Strong adhesion, as long as it's adhered to itself (for example the ends meet when taping around a box)
- Some plastic tapes are difficult to tear, ensuring the package is safer during transit.
- Can be used in a tape gun.
- Detrimental to the environment as not recyclable.
- Cannot be branded with your company logo.
- Can look unsightly on a package you've spent a lot of effort on designing.
Water-Activated / Gummed Tape
- Arguably one of the strongest tapes on the market, the package will be very secure.
- Forms a permanent bond with the box once dried.
- Biodegradable and 100% recyclable.
- Can be printed or hand stamped with your company logo.
- Can be messy as requires water to activate the glue.
- A manual or electronic dispenser machine is an extra cost and will take up counter space.
- Labor intensive if you use a sponge and water to activate the glue.
- Depending on whether or not it is reinforced, gummed tape can be expensive.
What is a tape gun?
A tape gun is a small handheld device that you can attached the roll of tape onto. It then allows you to dispense tape with ease and cuts the end of the tape, ready for the next use. So no more frustrating moments trying to find the end of the roll.
What is a dispenser machine for gummed tape?
So there are two types of dispenser machines, manual and electronic. However they both have the same function.
In a nutshell, as the roll of tape rotates the glue side is moistened with water as it exits the machine. The tape will need to be applied to the package before it dries.